Monday, September 3, 2007

A Theology of Movement

When did we get the impression a Christ follower should never quit, move to another place, or accept a new assignment? I fear we are so starved for recognition and affirmation that we will put our hand in a blender (or stab it with a knife 8/30) to get it. Too often I watch men grind their face and that of their families into the concrete for what they think is the cause of the Gospel. The question: Is that always the thing to do?

No secret blog messages here. Today, I am where God wants me. No question. Today. Yet, I have always been intrigued by what criteria people use to stay or go. Some value staying. Others value going. God values both.

When I wrote my personal mission, vision, values thing back in the late 90's at an Ohio retreat, I remember the words I wrote: God assigns and reassigns His people over the course of a lifetime. Nothing is more important than hearing and obeying His assignments.

Jesus, keynote speaker at the disciples' commissioning service, said, "And whoever will not receive nor hear your words, when you depart from that house or city, shake off the dust from your feet (Matt. 10:14)." Jesus was rejected at Nazareth, and he left (Matt. 13:58). The ministries of Paul and Jesus were all about coming and going. Movement. Hello and goodbye. More on this important subject tomorrow.

Carl Martin (carl@crosspointclemson.org) was at Willow yesterday. Carl asked the question: Where are your spiritual hands? Carl is a movement maker. A movement maker is someone who creates environments for God's will to be done and His Kingdom to prosper. Carl always lifts me to a higher level. God uses him to bring value to any room. Enjoyed Dustin Willis (talktodustin@gmail.com) and Midtown Sunday, too. Dustin asked the question: What tables does Jesus want to turn over in your heart?" Ouch. Nothing like being around movement makers.

No comments: