Friday, September 7, 2007

Learning from Leaders II - My First Accusation

The first time I remember someone referring to me as a leader was either in the 6th or 7th grade. Before you hurl, let me apologize by saying, just because someone thinks you're one, it does not make you one. Whew, I hope that principle applies to more than just leadership. Often times those of us who are loud, opinionated, and arrogant get called "leader." That was likely influencing the Valley Forge (TN) Elementary school teacher, who called me a one in the early 70's.

Jim Collins, in Good to Great (old news I know), listed personal humility as one of two essential qualities of great leaders. Notice not false humility. I have often joked (I think it is a joke) that I have no humility at all, including false humility.

My learning from observation, remember that is what this is about, is that the best leaders model true humility. If God has selected any of us to influence others, we must keep selection process in perspective. He has simply searched His toolbox, as a patient carpenter often does, and made a choice. We are no more the focal point of this miracle of grace than the hammer is when we drive by a beautiful home. I have never driven by an awesome new home and said to Yvette, wow, what a hammer that made that home!

Another powerful image in a quote, from Samuel Brengle, via Spiritual Leadership:

The ax cannot boast of the trees it has cut down. It could do nothing but for the woodsman. He made it, he sharpened it, and he used it. The moment he throws it aside; it becomes only old iron. O that I may never lose sight of this.
More Monday.

Ever gone into a room thinking every one else was the problem and left the room with a sick feeling in your stomach because you discovered you were. I think that happened to me yesterday in Columbia. I hate it when that happens.

No comments: