Monday, September 24, 2007

That Would Defeat The Purpose

I went to a bookstore and asked the sales woman, Where is the self-help section? She said if she told me that would defeat the purpose. The previous was a line from stand-up comedian Brian Kiley taken from Readers Digest, September 07 (Laugh Riot edition I recommended Friday).

Gary came to my office in New Orleans one day. He did not make a great first impression. Eye-contact was poor. He did not speak clearly. In a mumble he said, my professors told me I needed some experience and that I needed help. I was also told that you would be the best person to ask. Gary and his wife came to First Baptist and worked with us. I am not sure if I (or we) helped him or not. I don't remember much of the rest of the story. I will confess, however, I took the fact that someone sent him to me as a high compliment.

Self-help is somewhat of a oxymoron. I know, I know, there is the idea of personal responsibility, don't go Dr. Phil on me. My point is that you need, you must, you ought to help someone today. You need, you must, you ought, to get help today. You need more help than you think. Me too.

Is that Psalm 121:2? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. His help can come in human packages. You are one (a package of help), you need one.

Great weekend. I will talk about the door tomorrow. I did have fun. Sons of Italy. Willow with Neal. Football. Helped son-in-law with dog pen and watched a Bear thrashing with him. Flight Deck Restaurant. Weight Watchers. Abby's birthday party. Helped Yvette with a short trip to her school. More tomorrow.

No comments: