Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Movement II: Dino Makes a Bad First Impression

Learning from leaders (what to do, what not to do) I have discovered a common what not to do. What people think matters too much in determining an God's assignment. Should we consult a multitude of counselors? Yeah, I think that is somewhere in the Bible (Prov. 11:14 for those keeping score at home).

My bias, however, can skew Bible advice. Be sure you ask enough people, when pondering your next assignment, not just the ones you know will agree with you. Notice God's advice in Proverbs does not necessarily suggest you take a popular vote. Yes, I see that hand, God is calling me to Hawaii. More accurately, the advice is to get a variety of perspectives. Oh, I get it now. Bummer!

People gain security in numbers. I don't. I never had the luxury. The popular vote for me to pastor my church in Marrero, La. was 87%. In preacher terms, that is low. In fact, so low, I said no to them, multiple times. I then accepted the call and during the first year the numbers got even lower. For Cincinnati, the executive board voted a whopping 73% in favor of me coming to lead. My former pastor, Ron Herrod once told me, Dino, you really don't make a great first impression. Oh yeah, well, I don't care . . . anyways . . . more tomorrow.

Home yesterday for a day off, in honor of expectant mothers, Labor Day. Shopped a little. Abigail got two new frogs, Molly and Cyrus. Much needed respite for the Senesi family. First full week of school was too much drama for us. Week #1 included broken bones, bloodshed, and worst of all a Vols' loss. No real positive spin on the Cal loss for me because of the hard schedule. More loses coming (3-4). I don't care (<<< that was a lie).

No comments: