Friday, September 21, 2007

Fun Friday

If you are not having fun, you are not doing a good job. I read this quote in Fast Company magazine almost 5 years ago. I remember it often. I speak to leaders multiple times, every day. Some are having fun. Most are not. When you eyeball them, they are all effective in some way. The ones who are miserable are no where near their potential.

Don't want to sound like a spoiled brat here. Ed Stetzer told me (I think it was 5 years ago, too) that no matter your assignment, there is rent to pay. I responded, yeah, but I did not realize I was moving to the high rent district. Point is, daily, there will be down sides to your assignment. No matter if you are in your dream job, there will be rent to pay. Accept it, don't get angry at it, that only makes it smell worse.

Point #2, IT'S FRIDAY! Give yourself permission to have fun. Watch college football without guilt. Go to your favorite kid friendly restaurant. You pick it, not the kids. Go to the zoo, pull weeds, read a book. Have your grandson pull your finger. Tell a joke, you enjoy telling, and that you have told 1000 times, to your family. Watch a movie you have seen 100 times that still makes you laugh. Don't make me create your fun! You do it. When you treat the whole man with something meaningless, you will be more effective.

This weekend I am going to watch football, watch a movie, paint my front door, help Neal preach a sermon at Willow Ridge, go to a Sons of Italy meeting, and probably end the Sunday night at Midtown if Sons of Italy finishes in time. I am going to see my daughter, grandson, and hero son-in-law (see pic) fresh home from basic training and tech school. I am going to hang with the family and watch for God. What a country!

No comments: