Friday, January 18, 2008

Snow in S.C.? And They Missed it.

I am mad at myself. Wednesday night when I left a meeting at Willow Ridge around 10:30 I saw something seldom seen in S.C. Snow. Pretty nice. That is not why I am mad though.

Sometimes, as much as I shake my fist at the other guy, I am as bad or worse than he is. Today, I am shaking my fist at myself.

When I got home on that snowy Wednesday night Anna and Abby were in bed. Man. I knew the snow would be gone in the morning. I knew I could only tell them, unless . . . I woke them up! Great idea! A dad-daughter moment. They would smile through the sleepy, probably beg to go outside on a school night, give me a big hug, and have a life-long memory.

I missed it. They will never remember that it was just another January night of rest in 2008. When I told them this morning they were so disappointed. I explained that they would have been pretty grouchy if I had chosen to wake them up. Abby answered, I am pretty grouchy anyway. I could not have been any worse. But they missed the thrill of the snow, because I played it safe.

Safe is risky. Yet everyday we choose safe. While the ship sinks our greatest fear is getting water on our clothes instead of drowning. If you take a chance you may lose it all. No over promise here. If you play it safe you may lose it all too. So what is the difference? I am pretty grouchy anyway. My girls missed the beautiful South Carolina snow.

Carl Martin is a tool of God to raise high-capacity, high-impact leaders in the Low Country. I was with him yesterday. I sat with Bob Logan and 12 of my friends at World Headquarters yesterday on the final leg of our Coachnet certification. Multiplication. Risky. There is a safer way, but it is much more risky.

3 comments:

Dealing with the Diagnosis said...

Dino,
Just want to say thanks for being so honest. It is easy to open up when we get it right, but something different to confess our weaknesses.
thanks,
Mike Thompson

Anonymous said...

Hey D,
Just thought I would let you know I am keeping up with your thoughts, enjoying your writing. Tell Yvette I said hello.
Julie W.

CRJ/DJS said...

Mike,
I have tried dishonesty, but the people who knew me never believed me, so I gave up :) Thanks for your positive words. Look forward to your former location next month.
Let's talk.

Julie,
Hope all is well. Yvette is doing well. New school. New wins and loses. Thanks for keeping up. I will be in DFW Feb. 20-22.

D