Thursday, January 3, 2008

Simple Club - Club vs. Church VI

Geiger and Rainer's book is hot. Geiger http://www.ericgeiger.com/ will be in S.C. end of March . I don't think the out-going president of the South Holston Ruritan has read the book or met the authors. Come on Mr. President. Don't you know that the book Simple Church is:
  • #1 on the Church and Ministry National sales list
  • 2007 Christianity Today Book Award winner
  • Outreach Magazine's Best Outreach Leadership Training Resource 2007?

The members of the South Holston Ruritan Club really do not know this (as most churches). This is the fact that they have kept things simple. Simple Club. Hey, that might be my book.

Clarity (Blueprint) - A calendar year at the club is like a simple dance step. Meetings are brief and organized. Action is the name of the game at the club.

Movement - no congestion here, the process of the club is in place. It took a cool 60 seconds to distribute about 20 assignments to club members.

Alignment - there was a great sense of team at the club. Farmers, A Bluegrass superstar, a retired college professor (my father-in-law) all found unity of purpose and key roles.

Focus - the club was not complicated at all. I am not sure how often they say no, but there was a clear focus on the community.

I hope they don't decide to read Geiger and Rainer's runaway best seller. The Ruritians are who they are because it made sense. I am sure they have their tough days. Their future is an issue. But today they are making things different around them. The environment is different. One reason is they have kept it simple. Simple Club. I like the way that sounds.

Back at World Headquarters yesterday. Change is in the air. I am all for change unless it requires me to do something uncomfortable for me. So, I guess I am all for you to change. Not me. I prefer The Zone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Book. One of the most inspiring books I have read!

Eric Geiger said...

Dino -- you the man! thanks for blogging on Simple Church. Looking forward to seeing you in SC the end of March. I am brining Kaye and Eden with me.