Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I Threw in The Towel, God Kept Throwing it Back

Persistence is a character quality that we often misunderstand and misapply. I heard a church planter say yesterday, I threw in the towel many times, God kept throwing it back. I have seen people who really should quit but refused to. So, how do you know when you shouldn't quit? When should you not give up?

Well, my answer may frustrate you. No one can tell you when to quit but God. The tougher things get, the closer you must get to Him. What can't stop us from quiting is male pride. Neither can our desire to be a hero cause us to put ourselves or our families through a buzz saw. Keep in mind that what might appear to you and even others as quitting, may be God reassigning you to a greater level of usefulness.

What I like about my friend, Scott's quote is, God kept throwing the towel back. Scott did the right thing because the towel was coming from the right place. Not an easy answer, but a simple answer. More tomorrow.

Myrtle Beach tour was completed yesterday. I hung out with a ton of movement makers. Rick Astel, new Director of Missions in Myrtle Beach has a great passion for real prayer. God is making a difference in this important region through his leadership. Met with a ton of planters. As they told their stories I was reminded why I do what I do. Amazing stories of life change were all over the room.

No comments: