Thursday, January 24, 2008

It May Be All About You - After All

Ryan Leaf was one of the biggest disappointments in the history of professional sports. Neal and I reviewed his case a few minutes yesterday through the miracle (yes, I am that old) of the Internet.

Leaf became famous, fast, as a college junior at Washington State University. I remember seeing him play in the Rose Bowl in 1998. I was amazed at his arm strength and quick release. The big debate was over who would be a better pro, Payton Manning or Ryan Leaf. Leaf was chosen second, after Manning, in the 1998 NFL draft, by the San Diego Chargers. He threw 14 touchdown passes and 36 interceptions in 25 NFL games. He is now quarterbacks and golf coach at West Texas State University.

Sometimes the purpose of our lives is to serve as a warning for others. I read that somewhere once. On my bad days, I think, at least I can be a warning. Point here: self-maintenance and practice is more important than game time. Our guilt-driven, out of balance lives are really ego driven, my thrill comes in front of the crowd, and that is all that matters. That applies to me (although I do not have a strong arm or quick release) and you, more than Ryan Leaf. Who we are happens in private. How we "perform" on game day begins in secret places.

Columbia and Aiken yesterday. Joel Rainey, Richard Swift, and Neal McGlohon were among the movement makers I hung out with. We were not in front of any crowds, but that is a pretty elite group of players (you know what I mean).


5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Dino,

I love to read your blog! I have one for Landree and wanted to find a way to preserve it...I finally did http://www.blurb.com/create/book/blogbook Just thought I'd share in case you were ever interested making a copy for yourself...or your girls to have in future.

Jennifer

Craig Adams said...

Well Done Dino - Craig Adams

CRJ/DJS said...

Thank you Jennifer for reading TOL and I like the link. I need something in case I decide to quit computers.

Gary Sweeten said...

Dino, Good stuff. What is your micro trend? Coffee drinking, Baptist with liberal racial leadings and a "Troubler of Israel" who loves to stir the pot? That is a pretty small trend isn't it? We here in Cincy try to open the minds of folks and send them off to spread their wings. I trust all is well is SC. Be great in 08!

CRJ/DJS said...

Thank you Gary. Sorry I missed you in my last trip to Cincy. You guys were used of God to fix some (not all) of the broken stuff in me. Hopefully we can drink some coffee and '08 and find new ways to continue to trouble Israel. Whatever that might mean.