Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Google Your Church - Club vs.Church V

I googled the South Holston Ruritan Club. Keep in mind the club would not have a great web presence. No website, etc. Here are some of the top entries:

1. Clean-Up at South Holston Lake

2. Soup Supper (to raise money for college scholarships)

3. My blog (sorry, I couldn't resist the self-promo, thanks for reading)

4. River Clean Up

5. Adopt-a-Stream

I googled a few churches. I mostly got service times and locations. I searched long and hard for churches who were doing things for the community. I would not dare tell you the famous churches I googled and some pretty funny results. Mostly I found: Come support us. I am sure you lost folks are dying to find a church like ours. We are cool and contemporary. We are traditional. We have a bookstore, graveyard, bagels, and potato salad.

An attraction mentality is part of what we need to do, don't let me get carried away. Here are some QBQs: What is our local churches doing for those who are not interested in our attractiveness? What are we giving to the community? If our churches were removed from our communities who would miss them?

Adopt-a-Stream may not be an eternal project, but I saw a lot of fisherman standing in those South Holston streams over the Christmas holidays. Fishermen are eternal. I wonder if God would get their attention by a church that suddenly cared for the things they cared for. They will be in those streams this Sunday morning, no matter how great the show gets at the local church.

Great last day off yesterday. Long walk with Yvette. Football. Vols win! Vols win! Vols win! My football season officially ended at 17-14. Not a pretty picture. Saw Enchanted with the ladies. Very different. Very funny. Romance. Not sure it will make my 2008 top five though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dino,

As a solo pastor, I could use some help with this. I need to get opportunities into the hands of the church goers. Keep up the suggestions, and we'll take a personal hands-on approach from you anytime. There's lots of potential here.

Steve