Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Uncle Bert Was Not My Uncle

He was one of those people, however. You know, a gift from God who made a difference, as my car sped past him. He loved God and loved the youth of the church. No, he was not the "chewing gum guy." He did give me a book once. I knew Uncle Bert was real with God.

Uncle Bert was obsessed with having people pray for the young people at our church. He prayed for us. I think it mattered. He lived to be very old.

One episode with Uncle Bert is clear in my mind. I was riding in his car one day. A white Ford of some sort. We were riding through heavy traffic. He was old at the time. I never knew Uncle Bert when he wasn't old. He came to an intersection that was busy. He was a bit nervous and so was I. Suddenly, the traffic cleared. He said, "look what the Lord did for me." He wasn't joking. He meant it. You know what I think. I think God did that for Uncle Bert.

I learned something that day. God cares for people enough to clear traffic for them. What a small detail, for the God of the universe . . . to clear traffic for an old guy like Uncle Bert.

On second thought, did God clear traffic for Uncle Bert? Or, did God clear traffic for a little boy who was trying to learn how He worked? Or, did God clear traffic for you, so that 30 or 40 years latter, you could read this story? What traffic will God clear for us today?

At North Rock Hill Church today. Thinking about vision and cypress trees. Involved in Intensive Church Planter Training. Ten participants representing a possible five new churches. Enjoying the friendship of movement makers. Regular cast members include Neal McGlohon, Chris Ruppe, Kermit Morris, Hub and Brenda Blankenship, John Sharp, Eddie Cox, Abi Elrod. They get it. So do the ten that are here.

No comments: