Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Atlanta Bread is on My Breath

Still processing God's gift of people in my life. Also processing my metaphor - "spitting out the window of my fast moving car. "

This summer I enjoyed my 30th high school reunion (Hampton Bulldogs, Hampton, Tenn. Class of '77) and my 25th Wedding Anniversary with Yvette. The old people used to say how fast it all goes. I used to snicker, under my breath of course, at such ramblings. I wondered why they insisted on living in the past - and never related the two -- until now. The car moves so fast that the past is not really past.

I live off exit 111, I-26 in Columbia. My favorite hang out, Atlanta Bread, is off exit 108. It takes about 2 minutes (depending on how submissive I feel) to go from one exit to the next -- Atlanta Bread is still clear in my mind and on my breath when I exit 111 to go home. Don't snicker at me for living off exit 108. The sites, the smell, and the experience happened a mere seconds ago.


I began eternal life when I was born. My engines started in Newcomb Hospital, Vineland, New Jersey, Tuesday, November 10, 1959 at 10:53 p.m. My life can barely be called a series of exits on an eternal journey. It's really only one. Depressed? Hardly! Energized more like it. Urgent for sure. Blessed. So teach us (Lord) to number our days, that we may present to You a heart of wisdom (Ps 90:12).

Yesterday was a day that did not go as planned. The car moved fast, but exited in a totally differently place. Enjoyed great conversations with movement makers Dr. Jim Austin, Ronny Byrd, Richard Swift, Bill Howard, Neal McGlohon, Kermit Morris, Greg Abrams, and others. Today Columbia, tomorrow Spartanburg, Friday Charleston. I think. Stay tuned.

No comments: