Saturday, August 4, 2007

Homer Simpson and the Weasel Effect

Homer - I think I don't want to do this coaching thing. I'm afraid you will yell at me. Trying leads to failure, I say the lesson is, never try.

Dino - Homer, are your trying to weasel out of some personal growth and accountability?

Homer - Things are not as bad as they seem, besides, weaseling out of things is important to learn. It is what separates us from the animals -- except for the weasel.

Dino - Let's go back to a possible project you talked about. Besides the donuts. You talked about using your wealth and influence to help someone else. Who needs help?

Homer - well, let's see . . . I'm thinking . . . Rev. Lovejoy and Flanders are busy, but they have lots of people to help them, you know the people who are afraid of going to hell.

Dino - Who else? What is something you can do?

Homer - Those kids in my neighborhood, seem to always be making trouble. They get yelled at all the time, lets see. . . . What if I built some skateboarding ramps?

Dino - What do you need to get started on the ramps?

Homer - Donuts . . . lots of hot, fresh, -- and help, because I'm not so good at building things, but I have lots of money.

Dino - How would you go about building a team to help you?
Could that be an action plan? Think through that and we can talk about your progress next time. One more question, on a 1-10 scale, how motivated are you to complete this project?

Homer - Woo hoo!!

Debrief: Why did Homer lack motivation? Why do people struggle with motivation?

I am in the middle of an incredible celebration with the lovely Ms. Yvette in Hilton Head today. Twenty-five years of marriage. The weather is rainy but we are highly motivated. We have been dreaming and planning for the future. Baggage can cloud your vision for the future. If some how by God's grace we can let go of the failures and disappointments of the past, the future is the most exciting place to be. Why? Because it is the place I have yet to fail! God's place. The place of my greatest potential.

I know what I am doing, I have it all planned out. Plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future. The future that you hoped for (Jeremiah 29:11 MSG)

3 comments:

Kat G said...

What a beautiful family! 25 years of marriage. How does Yvette do it? :) If you can coach "Homer" then there is hope for all of us.

CRJ/DJS said...

Good point. There is hope for all of us!

Sultan57 said...

Yvette and the girls I now, but who is that guy in the pic? Hey man, your lookin great. Sorry about the delayed response.
Coaching Simpson,
Okay Vince 'Lame-bardy' go for it.
Excited about all the great things God is doing right now in your life!
Ron Renner--Cincy, Ohio