Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Spitting Out the Window of a Fast Moving Car

I hesitate, a bit, to highlight gifts from God on my journey. I know I will leave people out. Predictably, I must begin with my Pop. He was relational almost to a fault. He owned an Italian Restaurant in East Tennessee that still bears the name "Dino's" on the front. He proudly displayed a sign outside, "first lasagna served in East Tennessee - 1963."

Dino Sr. was a local hero. Everybody loved him because he made everyone feel important. From a local kid named "Moe" with Downs Syndrome to future Minnesota Twins superstars like Kirby Puckett. They all loved Dino because Dino helped them feel love.

He made me feel love too. One day we were riding down the road pretty fast. I needed to spit and did not know what to do. He patiently, in great detail, described the fundamentals of spitting out the window of a fast moving car. He explained, demonstrated with impressive results, and then asked me to try. I don't know for sure how old I was. All I know is that I did it! Wow.

Yesterday while driving on Interstate 20 toward Augusta, Ga., at least 40 years later, I did it again. Quite impressive! Nobody saw it(I don't think). I did not teach anyone else. I did think about Pop though. He would be proud. He made a lifelong, profound difference in the life of his "pride and joy" his "baby boy" as he still calls me to this day. What a gift from God! My Pop.

In Columbia for a record second straight day today. Great conversations yesterday with pastors, planters, and friends. Still buzzing over the Vision Carolinas thing I believe God is up to. Neal, I think it involves new cypress trees. Meeting with some movement makers today. Seems like I am with them everyday now.

1 comment:

Art Fulks said...

DJS,

My brother came back to the states this week from West Africa for a 10 month fullow to work on his PhD. (I'm still struggling with the idea of calling him 'DOCTOR'.) However, it seems that so many of our converstations these days revolve around Mom and Dad...and their influence in our lives.
He will be on an 8 hour drive tomorrow from Ohio to Tenn. and I have made an 'appointment' with him to call and help his journey pass more quickly. I am looking forward to a few 'POP' moments even now as I have read of your revived skill of 'spitting' on the fast track. ADF