Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Homer's Life Coach

Since 2002, coaching has been a significant part of my life. Two great reads are Logan: Coaching 101 and Stoltzfus' Leadership Coaching. In a conversation with Bob Logan one day I told him, "Bob, I have incredibly sharp people around me, I am not sure I have the skills to lead them." My coaching IQ was pretty low at the time. With great passion Bob said "coaching, the answer is coaching!" At that point God fueled an exciting life-changing leg of the journey for me. As I faced my own flaws and dreams, along with the challenge of leading the leaders around me, coaching provided new hope.

So come with me. I am in a certification process, as we speak, through CoachNet. Let's take on a pretty tough case. Regardless of where you are in the journey of coaching let's work with my alter ego. He's hot right now. I have been contracted to coach Homer Simpson. Not sure of his motivation level. He does not necessarily qualify as a "high capacity leader." Or does he? Could there more under Homer's hood than we think? Do you see any potential? Weigh in with your ideas if you know him. We will have an introductory coaching conversation with Homer tomorrow.

The North American Mission Board (Southern Baptist mission resource agency for North America) summer meetings are winding down today. I came in with no expectations. My take is that a fresh wind is blowing through the leadership of new president Geoff Hammond. I see greater focus, passion, and commitment to reach North America. Change is good, you go first.

1 comment:

Art Fulks said...

It's great to hear your expectations were exceeded...I hear optimism in your words.

I read the Cleveland Hope newsletter today...and actually spoke to the Embrace Baltimore director last week. What an incredible optimism...especially with things like FBC Dallas sending their choir on mission to CLEVELAND. Who would have ever 'thunk' it?