Monday, June 23, 2008

I Spin Around and Bang My Drum!

Leadership is a subject that gets plenty of attention. I wonder if Jesus would have gone to a leadership seminar or read a Maxwell book? We may never know. I guess I had better feed the hungry leader animal in us and go with a winning subject. Readership completes me.

And now . . . the shame on you, bad dog, no, get off the couch, don't do that there, get outside, part! Who would not want to be on the most famous living people list? Oh, don't get humble on me. Remember, fame means you achieved something extraordinary. I don't want to be Rick Warren, but I would like to be the Rick Warren of my world (My confession to Ray Brock).

Mike and Mike (ESPN Radio) talked about a famous Americans list Friday. You could guess some, although I would have never guessed that Michael Jordon was #1. You will never guess who beat Oprah and Obama on this particular list.

I spilled my coffee, dropped my cell phone in mid-conversation, lost my highlighter in the floor board, and choked on my fiber bar when I heard who #5 was. The Energizer Bunny was considered one of the five most famous people in America.

As hard as I try to be famous, a stuffed bunny who works for a battery company, just being who he is, becomes famous. Let's face it TOL readers. Without a big break from Energizer where would this bunny be? He would be laying in a glass box at a cheap arcade waiting for the dreaded steel claw. Wow, that's gotta hurt.

Does he know he is famous? Does his parents know? Do they care? Where does he go from here? Does he have aspirations? I doubt it.

Does PETSA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Stuffed Animals pronounced "pizza") know? I am calling them. They would not be happy about the long, boring, hours of unpaid work. Banging his drum, spinning in circles, and giving his all, this bunny gets shut up in the dark at the end of the day. Abuse!

I am outraged by the whole deal. Here I am banging my drum, spinning in circles, and giving my all for what? What can I learn from the apparent fame of the Energizer Bunny? I think you can see we have potential here, so I will pick up Leadership Secrets of the Energizer Bunny tomorrow.

Isle of Palms for a few days with the Yvette, Anna, and Abby. We are already having fun. I try not to let expectations ruin vacations. A slow line at Subway in Orangeburg and thunderstorms in Mt. Pleasant didn't even throw us off.

No comments: