Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Helping Others Pass You - My Evil Twin

How strange would it be? Tiger Woods pulls Rocco Mediate aside and says, dude, let me help you. We may face a playoff in a major again. I know that is what you want. I want to teach you how to beat me.

I am not talking about concession here. I am talking about teaching others to be better than you at something. Sounds strange?

I am reading a new book on coaching. Coaching for Performance by John Whitmore is a classic, often recommended book by coaching rock stars. First written in the early 90's, the human potential theme will spook some readers. Context, however, is everything, so for me, there is much to learn. On working with people Whitmore makes the following statement:

One of the best things we do for them is to assist them to surpass us.

Why do we shy away from this idea? How would this value help you take people to a higher level? I have a twin who is an evil leader. My dark side can often be seen through my desire to control people. There is another way my evil leadership twin shows up. My twin shows through a desire to maintain the belief of people around me that I am superior to them. A bit uncomfortable with this? Me too.

Listen to the old Apostle, Paul:

For now we really live, if you stand firm in the Lord (I Thes. 3:8)

You think Paul worried about people surpassing him? Don't think so. Look at the people around you differently today. God has placed you there for a reason. The reason is likely for the people who are physically positioned closest to you. Teach them how to beat you.

2 comments:

Ray Brock said...

I could not possibly agree more!!!

Anonymous said...

"teach them how to beat you."

that's great stuff, captain! thanks for sharing and for being transparent.