Friday, June 6, 2008

Dad Regrets III - Meet Mrs. Jesus

When you search the Bible on the subject of marriage you make several startling discoveries. The discoveries were wildly counter-cultural in their original historical setting. Same could be said about applying the Bible to today's culture.

Metaphorically, a healthy relational environment between husband and wife is illustrated through the relationship of Jesus Christ and His church. Jesus loved the church to the level that He paid the ultimate, selfless price. He died for them (us).

So then, if I am to love Yvette to the same level, the coach might ask, What would that look like? And, if I loved Yvette that way in the past, What would that look like to my daughters? How would that affect their view of life and family? How would that affect their view of a real relationship with Jesus?

How important is my relationship with Yvette? So important that God Himself compared it to my relationship with Him. Traditionally, we say our priorities should be: 1) God 2) Family 3) Job. I think those priorities are not biblical or healthy.

Here is the real order (if you are married of course): 1A: God 1B: Wife 2. Children 3. Job. I cannot separate my relationship with God from my relationship with Yvette. She benefits by God being my first love. My children benefit from God being my first love and Yvette being the second part of my first love. More on this subject, next post.

Heading to Indy this weekend after a stop by at Willow Ridge. Look forward to the fun. Running in a 5K there.

No comments: