Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Dad Regrets - Take Vacations

Last time I spoke at Willow, I talked about home and family in the Deeper Water series. I ran out of time before I got to the confessional section of the sermon (think that was on purpose?). I listed several dad regrets.

I have three daughters ages 21, 12, and 9. I have a wonderful wife (age unavailable at the time of this post). Most of you do better than me at my first regret. In fact, some of your habits in this area helped me see how bad I was at this.

Dad Regret #1 - Not enough planned, intentional, multiple day vacations. I am talking extended time with just Yvette and the girls. It might have been a sense of self-importance or an inappropriate sense of obligation to parents. Maybe it was misplaced money priorities or lack of resourcefulness. My non-parent vacations were a day here, two days there, rushed stressed, unpack, repack.

I am not alone. No excuse though. The Real Age http://www.realage.com/ website reported in 2005 Americans threw away (use or lose) an estimated 415 million vacation days. That is 1.6 million years of unused vacation! I lost more than the days, however.

I regret the past. I am committed as of summer of 2007 (Orange Beach) to do better. No matter how unimportant I feel laying on Isle of Palms beaches end of June and playing in Stone Mountain end of July (Summer '08) its a done deal. I am with Pumba (Lion King, Disney, 1994). I am putting my behind in the past and on the beach and mountains.


2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my, you can count on me NEVER losing a vacation day. Enjoy the beach and Stone Mountain-you (and your family) deserve them!

T. Alan said...

We took our first true family vacation three years ago. After two days she said she had never felt better. Your kids will always remember the times you spent with them when they were the center of attention.