Friday, February 1, 2008

Liberty University Final - Unapologetic

No doubt, Jerry Falwell's vision is all over Liberty University. Included was a really ugly bald spot he had constructed into Chandler's Mountain (4000 tons of rock arranged in the letters LU). Lynchburg residents were not happy about it, but Jerry never seemed to be overly concerned about what people thought.

Spending a few days at Liberty will result in months of debrief for me. The environment around LU was one of abandonment and risk for the gospel. As I addressed a class of young champions I reminded them not to take the environment for granted. I have never experienced anything like it.

I spent a few days in the environment with experienced champions like Dave Early, Jonathan Falwell, Ergun Caner, David Wheeler, and Ed Stetzer (Liberty Alum). I learned how reckless they were for the cause of Christ. I also realized that I spend a lot of time in my environments apologizing for and qualifying what I think, believe, and do.

I have blogged before that it is not automatically a virtue to not care what people think. I stand by those blogs in their context. But that does not mean that we have to spend precious time and energy apologizing for the right things we think, believe, and do. Jerry did issue apologies in his day, but not many. He invested his energy in dreaming, wildly, about changing the world. He gets a seat, forever, by those who have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Dino,
Jerry Farwell was a very focused man in seeking to advance the Kingdom of God.