Friday, February 22, 2008

From Dallas - Lessons from Whirlyball

No doubt it was going to be one of those Leadership Network funky team building adventures. Loads of fun followed. I am no Margaret Davis, but, when they write my story for Whirlyball Illustrated they will talk about a guy who decided to take up the sport in his late 40's. Young Whirlys will blog about me.

What is Whirlyball http://www.whirlyball.com/? Try mixing bumper cars, hockey, basketball, Jai Alai, and whiffleball. Five-on-five teams try to scoop whiffleballs into basketball looking goals. My back is sore. I won a 5.00 Starbuck's card because my team was undefeated. I will hold a press conference next week to announce my retirement.

All I ever needed to know I learned at Whirlyball . . .

  1. Drive cars wrapped in over sized, soft rubber strips.
  2. Fasten your seat belt either way.
  3. Travel with Extra Strength Tylenol.
  4. Twelve minutes is faster than you think.
  5. People are always trying to bump you in the behind.
  6. People are always trying to steal your important stuff.
  7. Never try to grasp important things with your non-scoop hand.
  8. The target is small and requires focus.
  9. Your own teammates can become the opposition.
  10. Watch those who play well and copy their moves.
  11. Two point penalty follows if you scooper smack the opposition.
  12. My back hurts.

Half -day in Big D. Back to S.C. for Winter Jam Concert. Open date Saturday. Vols vs. Memphis on T.V. Saturday night. Flo Town and Myrtle Beach Sunday.

No comments: