Thursday, October 11, 2007

Where Are You? Part II: The Santa Affect

My personal accountability to God is supposed to be a really big deal. If you were in a God environment as a child, one of the first things you learned was, God is watching you. I am not sure if that came before or after the Santa thing for me. I learned Santa watched too, and short term that could mean even more trouble. I felt a little over matched. A tag team glared over my shoulder on a given day, neither of whom were really concerned about a kid's privacy.

Santa quit watching me sometime around the age of five (I think). He threw his hands in the air when I (accidently) dropped a heavy wooden object on my sister's head. Glad to get that accountability relationship off my back.

God still watches. I am not sure He is overly entertained either. One option for me is to adjust what I am doing to become more in line with I think He wants. Another option is to some how put the fact that he is watching out of my mind (like I did years ago with Santa). A third option is to hope He stops watching.

The QBQ (question behind the question) is how can I, and the people around me, enjoy the benefit of my accountability to God? There is a benefit, right? Is there an upside to my accountability to God? Remember, I am thinking out loud here. More tomorrow.

Yesterday I was in Charleston with movement makers at Charleston Southern University. The Midtown crew, Clark Carter, Dr. Rick Brewer, and students who will change the world were all in the room. Great conversation with Ronny Byrd. Today I am in the Upstate with Neal McGlohon, Larry Bateman, and Dwight Huffman from Canada. My uncle used to tell me, play basketball in pick up games with people who are better than you. They will force you to raise your game.

No comments: