Monday, October 15, 2007

No 'I' in Team . . . A Myth?

John G. Miller, business consultant and author of the book QBQ! The Question Behind The Question said:


There's a misbelief, a myth, that there is no 'I' in team . . . that is so wrong. Every team is full of 'I's and when the 'I's start taking care of themselves, the team wins(Dallas Morning News 2/4/04).

Still on the topic of personal accountability . . . When I stumbled over Miller's ideas when Googling accountability, it made me uncomfortable. Accountability is a systems issue, I am learning. To some degree, we either get it, or we don't. We like accountability, or we don't.

I have bragged, Ask me questions, that only makes me look good. Did some throw up come to the back of your throat when your read that? Sorry, Thinking Out Loud can get ugly. Just trying to be accountable :). Truth is, what I should say is, Ask me questions in the areas where I would like you to ask me questions, that only makes me look good. Please don't confuse that with, Ask me anything.

For the next few days I will talk about raising your own bar. The idea is that you and I must volunteer to be accountable. No one will make us. And remember, when we choose to be accountable, the team wins.

Great weekend. Went to Family Life, with Greg Abrams. I love God's fingerprint on Lakepoint in Lexington. Enjoyed a run to the club (Sam's) to keep America's economy moving forward. Vols and Saints won! Not that I pull for either team anymore, because when I do they lose. In Columbia today with movement makers. Will report on that tomorrow.

No comments: