Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Playing for Pizza - Welcome to Parma, Italy

My third Grisham novel out of 17 . . . Playing for Pizza had a natural appeal to me. The world of professional football meets Italian culture in John Grisham style. A loser third string quarterback, fresh off of blowing a playoff win for the Cleveland Browns, lands a small contract in the Italian NFL with the Parma Panthers.

Not sure I would tell you to rush out and buy one to pour over, searching for spiritual meaning. No suggestions for a sermon series or small group studies from me. The book, as you should expect, has no sexual boundaries or many other boundaries. I enjoyed the mind break though and a chance to read what a lot of people are reading and will read (currently 2nd on NY Times hardback list).

The book was fun, detailed, and somewhat predictable. Predictable is not always a bad thing, particularly when you are looking for entertainment. Have you ever noticed how unpredictable life usually is . . . and how frustrating that can be? Rick Dockery, scapegoat of the Browns latest blown playoff game, found himself in a land far away from the NFL of his dreams.

I am in that land of far far away . . . Parma. In 2002 I was exiled to South Carolina. I did not handle it well, at first. People were patient with me (or not) for over three years. God was patient with me, I think. God goes deeper when He turns your world upside down. God does, often, charge forward ignoring the wonderful plan you had for your life. Don't fight it like I did. You will damage people you love (did that) and great opportunities (did that, too). I have discovered new things, worthwhile things, and new levels I would have never known if not for God and Parma.

All day with Chris and Neal in Columbia looking at the future. A little overwhelmed yesterday.Another day with movement makers today. A movement maker does not create results. Only God can do that. A movement maker creates environments for God to do what He wants.






No comments: