Tuesday, October 2, 2007

How Real Leaders Get Thrills

Not my idea but I can't get it out of my mind . . . maybe you need it, too. Tri Robinson is founding pastor of Vineyard Boise. In his book Revolutionary Leadership, he gave advice he received from his father about two ways to climb a ladder:

He told me some leaders aggressively fight their way over all those on the lower rungs, stepping and climbing over as many people as possible until the top is finally achieved. On the other hand, he said there are some leaders who would encourage and even physically help people around them climb upward until everyone is on top . . . Which leader would you like to follow?

When coaching others, a powerful processing question is, Who can help you accomplish this task? How? My Mother Teresa, powerful question of the day is: Who can you help? How? Look around. Think backward, to people from your past. Take a small action step toward them this week. Experience the thrill of helping someone else one step higher.

Yesterday I was in Columbia, working on the rest of the year. Planning is a frog I don't enjoy eating, so I saved it until last. That is what you are supposed to do . . . right? I love October - Fall, Football, and Procrastination Season. Now, you can officially put things off until first of the year! As Homer Simpson might say: Woo Hoo!

No comments: