Thursday, October 18, 2007

Raise Your Own Bar III (9)

9. Go see a Doctor. My doctor, Dr. Amajad Abdulrahman, is my friend. We talk about things other than health. I avoided doctors for years. Probably for the same reason normal people avoid preachers. I know what a doctor will rant about, I am not ready to change, so I don't want to hear it.

I saw Dr. Rahman yesterday. He was easy on the insults this time. He went over details of my blood work with great care. He told me I had a pretty severe Vitamin D deficiency. Off to Web MD etc. to find out how long I have to live. Not long.

I do get to experience what a megadose of Vitamin D is like. What a hassle. I really want ask Dr. Rahman to sit on that tall table and ask, What about you, Dr. Rahman? How is your Vitamin D? You are a wreck. Problem is he really does live what he believes. He is in great shape. He cares. He has no agenda but me.

He thought out loud while I was in his office about two years ago. I wonder how much nursing home care will cost when you need one? He also thought out loud when he said, I wonder what you could do with the money you are currently spending on blood pressure and cholesterol medication?

When I decided to go back to a doctor five years ago, I was a physical, emotional, and spiritual wreck. BTW, it is amazing how all those are tied together. Raise your own bar. See a doctor, regularly. Listen to him/her. I have never seen a doctor who did not have my best interest at heart . . . and who did not make me accountable for the insane choices I was making.

I also had a great conversation with my coach, and others in Columbia yesterday. More coaching today and off to Bluffton, S.C. More to raise your bar tomorrow and a report on the movement makers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.