Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Venting - As Controversial As It Will Get

People have said (I think they were joking), you need to make your blog more controversial, then more people would read it. There are many reasons why I don't. One is that I would get in trouble at world headquarters (I understand why). Another is that, believe it or not, I am just not that type of person. I am not in peoples' grill every day. I am capable, I have done it in the past, but day in day out, that is not who I am. When I do it, I lose ground most every time.

Today, through, I am going to address an increasing epidemic that may make this my most controversial entry ever (post #94). Another reason I don't call people out on my blog is that it is absolutely gutless. Using public media to act really smart about other peoples' lives and intentions shows no courage.

In fact, if you are criticising people without first attempting to address them, privately, then you are not following the book (Matt. 18) we preach and argue so passionately about. Get a spine and go to the people you are so bothered by. At least attempt to see them. Do you care enough to personally confront? Not only does that show a commitment to Biblical values, but there is an outside shot you might be right. Then, you are doing the compassionate thing, too.

We defend the Bible like rabid dogs, yet seldom live it. Particularly the hard parts. The parts that take courage to follow. Hey, I understand. Been there, done that. And will do it again.

God help us to be more personally accountable for our own behavior. It is not them, they need to, why do they? . . . Instead it should be, we, us, our, me. The QBQ. How will I live? Behave? Treat my family? Serve God in my church? Make a difference in the lives of my neighbors? You see, when it comes to personal accountability, it is ALL ABOUT ME.

Great visit to Camden yesterday to one of my new favorite spots (they need wireless - wait that was gutless, I will talk to them face to face), Carolina Cafe. Bill Drees, DoM in Kershaw County gets it, bottom line. Great coaching conversation and other stuff from world headquarters. Off to hang out with movement makers again today. Finished Spidey III last night. Enjoying Transformation by Bob Roberts, a last minute add in to the bag. Also, the novel, A Pagan's Nightmare. Funny book but the plot is taking too much time to develop. Opps, sorry, I need to tell that to Ray Blackston, the author. He lives in Greenville.

2 comments:

Ray Brock said...

Hi Dino,

I just got an email from Dennis Holmes saying that you will be back in Cincinnati soon for a visit. Hope to catch up while your here. Send me an email, I would like to speak with you for a moment. Ucats8790@aol.com

Thanks,
Ray Brock
Center Pointe Church

Anonymous said...

Dino, I like your style. A few certain congregants like to hear bashing not just from blogs but from the pulpit too. They want the preacher to "get 'em" on Sunday publically rather than confront 'em themselves on Monday.

Next time someone talks about "stepping on toes" from the pulpit, I'll ask them to refer to it as "getting up in someone's grill" from now on.

--Steve, Kershaw, SC