Thursday, November 1, 2007

Ramblings of a Former Devil

Halloween doesn't scare me like it once did. I am not sure if that's good or bad. When I was a kid, growing up in East Tennessee, I was an avid trick-or-treat participant. My first costume I remember was of Old Slewfoot. Yeah, that's right, I dressed as the devil. I can't say for sure that an eight-year-old, future preacher, dressed like Satan, trying to intimidate the neighbors for candy, was harmless.

Yvette wonders if I have recovered. I still dig the old devil mask out to terrify her with my rants. I don't have my childhood mask. I am talking about the metaphorical mask www.dictionary.com/. I know that is a bit deep. I feel much better now that blog readers know my secret.

I took Abby and Owen (my two-year-old rock star grandson) trick-or-treating in my neighborhood last night. My favorite son-in-law, David was with us. Owen was dressed in an army uniform, Abby was a bat. I was dressed in Uncle Tom's Philadephia Eagles sweatshirt. Brian Plyler thought I would make a great Ghandi. I resisted his advice.

I understand the roots of Halloween. I have old sermon outlines that exposes the evil. I am different now. Krista (21) never went trick-or-treating much. Evil is nothing to be joked about. That is the way I felt then. My mind has not changed. I am not smarter. I just rank other forms of evil a greater problem.

Since the evil in our hearts is much more subtle, I think the damage can be far greater. I can bluff my way into places because I look like (generally speaking of course) a person, not a devil. I will walk right in the door of my home. I will walk in the office at work and no one will notice. I will blame others for my short comings and use my position to manipulate. I will hurt people, deeply, and not even know it. Even with my best intentions.

Self-awarness is a bit of a buzz term around me now. Are you? Self-aware? Do you know the damage you might cause today? The people you might hurt. Open the eyes of my heart Lord, I want to see me. Scary. Really Scary. Please Lord, may I walk with you and understand my potential for evil today. Remind me of the metaphorical devil mask in my heart.

Tough day in Columbia yesterday. Sinus infection. Too many rants from me and around me. Today will be better at world headquarters. Jim Slack will remind us of important things.

No comments: