Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Defining Moments II - Making Predictions (100th Post)

Wow. I stumbled on to something. When I talk about God's desire, when I say He wants me to do this, go here, respond this way, I have become a spiritual weather man. I wonder if I take it seriously? I am predicting how things are supposed to work and adding God's name in the equation. Ouch.

I have been around Kingdom folks who are very smug about their predictions. They scare me. I scare myself when I am smug about my ability to prognosticate http://www.dictionary.com/.

Where does this leave us? Well, as I heard the old preacher say a long time ago, It is God's will to know His will. Makes sense. I believe that. But I wonder if, when God's will is too easy:

>Will I question 'God's Will' when the obedience part gets difficult?

>Will I use 'God's Will' as a defense mechanism that actually means, 'don't hold me accountable, I am on a mission from God'?

Bottom line, I should take my predictions for God seriously. I should always include, at least in my heart, and in my prayer life, If the Lord permits . . . or as the old folks used to say, If the Lord says the same. And the thing that should scare, no terrify me like a Friday The 13th movie, should be . . . to make a wrong prediction (Heb. 4:1).

UPDATE on Florence - Annual meeting of Southern Baptists from South Carolina. Old news to say the crowds are getting smaller and the participants are getting older, so I won't. I wonder if the smaller crowd has some potential. Less buzz, less politics.

Last night was as encouraging a session as I have ever attended anywhere. Mike Moody, our president, has the chance of a lifetime. Many of us dream of the opportunity to rant in front of the whole group. Instead he humbly defered to four movement makers. Three I did not know, one I did. From a motorcycle preacher, to a pastor determined to change his community, to a young pastor who is touching West Africa, it was awesome. D.J. Horton of Anderson Mill Road Church http://www.amrbc.org/ in Spartanburg (write that name down sports fans) hit cleanup and flat hit a tape measure shot for the Kingdom of God. I don't know if I was more impressed with Moody's humility or the replacements he chose, but, as long as guys like these are around there is hope for Southern Baptists' impact on the Kingdom.

BTW, milestone for me today. 100th post. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was the "motorcycle preacher" Jeffery Allen? If so, he leads Carolina Faith Riders (Biking for Jesus). He is also our youth and children pastor @ South Florence Baptist and my accountability partner.

CRJ/DJS said...

From your church Chris, that was the guy. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

Yes.. that was him... I talked to him last night... He told me that he took the bike into the the conference. How awesome is that!