Thursday, November 8, 2007

I Have A Long Way To Grow

I really didn't finish 103 out of 100 in the 17th Annual Spring Valley Presbyterian Bizarre Bazaar 5K run this past Saturday. I thought it was really funny though. You know, what I said earlier about the very old man, with a walking stick and two stray dogs, one that walked with a limp who beat me.

The truth is, at 27 minutes and 14 seconds, I probably finished in the final third of the pack. I may never see the final race results. The obvious question is: Where did I finish? But, the all powerful QBQ is: What standard do I use for determining personal success? The question is tricky but important.

Two years ago I was a physical, emotional, and spiritual train wreck. Don't tell them at world headquarters. On the surface, I think most thought I was doing a decent job. I was grossly overweight and was taking all the 40 something medications that we normally take. I was deeply depressed and little use to my wife and family. I could barely make it to the mailbox and back without having to take a break for Diet Pepsi and Doritos.

I have experienced changes, more than many do in their 40's. God was in it all. Because, in Him, I live, and breathe, and have my being. Problem was, I was breathing in Him before, I just got out of breath a lot faster.

Where am I going here? Stay with me. A punch line to the heart is coming. Most of you are above average at something. So, is that good enough? Isn't running the race enough for me, considering my story? Why isn't experiencing some humble physical, emotional, and spiritual changes the finish line? If I set my standard of success by other people it would be.

My life is secure in Christ. Nothing can change my position with Him. 5K races, Diet Pepsi, Doritos and the likr do not cause me to gain or lose His grace. How I live, however, is an investment of the gifts, opportunities, and responsibilities He has given me. So, other people do not set my standard of success. I have a long way to grow. Finishing ahead of a few people is not enough. He has higher plans than that (Jeremiah 29:11). What will you do to help see His plans more clearly today? What is your growth plan? I think I want to talk more about that.

World Headquarters yesterday. I needed the day I did not think I would get. Off to Spartanburg with movement makers, those who create environments through which God can do landscaping. Coaching conversations, too. Life is good.

No comments: