Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Roger vs. Barry IV - God has No Preference

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. (Gal. 3:28 NAS).

I'll bet some people in Galatia got ticked off when they read that part of Paul's letter. Hey, wait just a doggone, rebel flag waving minute here. God said what? God was telling Paul to let the people know, faith alone is what made them right with Him.

I used this text, when I addressed the topic, What Black History Month Means to Me, at New Testament Baptist Bible Center back in the '90s. I confessed to the congregation that Pastor Jerry's requested topic sent me on a journey with God. I researched the meaning of Black History Month. I learned how much it meant to them.

Since that assignment, the journey sent me to the streets of Cincinnati hand-in-hand with African-Americans singing We Shall Overcome, on King Day 2001. I read MLK's autobiography and visited the Black History Museum in Savannah, Georgia.

So, I am there, right? Speaking down to you about how you should be like me. Not at all. The more pages I turn, the more I see the true picture of my heart. Not pretty. I prefer my own. Not only do I prefer my own, but I think mine are better. I confuse my comfort with mine with the destructive, ungodly attitude that mine are superior. And God . . . and Paul blew that attitude out of the water when they said . . . In Him there are no preferred cultures or people groups. Only Jesus can live like Jesus. The long journey continues.

World Headquarters Yesterday. One busy, busy day left. Got more shopping done. Doing all I can to contribute to the Shopocalypse! Almost finished.

No comments: