Friday, April 18, 2008

Weekends and Holidays - Has Anybody Seen Her?

I was on a elevator in New Orleans in 1982. As a student, I worked at One Shell Plaza delivering mail to Shell employees. It was a Friday. My elevator was coming to a stop on the next floor. I said something to a woman who rode with me like, have a nice weekend. Her response was, weekends and holidays, that is all I have.

I judged her as she left. I am not sure her life was as miserable as that response sounded. The building was large with 100s of employees. To my memory I never saw her again. Maybe I should have chased her down, but I didn't. For some reason, I will never forget that brief conversation.

I wonder, where she is now? Are weekends and holidays, over 25 years later, all she has? I wonder if she has met anyone who has more? Have you seen her?

I wonder, who has more fun on weekends? People who believe that is all they have or people who claim to have more? Does a guy on a hammock with his Corona enjoy life more than me?I know what the answer is supposed to be. If it is not my answer then I am not drinking what I am selling!

Have a great weekend! And . . . be careful out there.

No comments: