Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Relapse!

Ralph, a former atheist, was late for our meeting this morning. I wondered out loud if he had a relapse.

I thought about how often I have suffered relapses in my life. Determining to go deeper, do better, or quit something, etc. is a common human impulse. I do well for a few minutes (hours, weeks) with these impulses. Occasionally, they become defining moments. The problem is I often go back to old thinking and living. How about you?

I could blog to infinity and beyond on the issue of Relapse! What should I do about it? Is it inevitable? Unavoidable? I spent a lot of years leading support groups for addicts in New Orleans. I tons of memories and lessons learned. I also consider myself in recovery in so many ways. I think it could be helpful (at least for me) to Think Out Loud about Relapse! More tomorrow.

No comments: