Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Relapse II - A Big Head and Little Arms

I thought at the time the kid's movie, Meet The Robinsons, would have done better at the box office. Although it did not, my family continues to chuckle at the pitiful dinosaur who was given the assignment to catch a kid from his evil supervisor. The child got behind something he could not reach. His arms were the right size but his head was too big. He screamed his excuse to his angry boss, but I have a big head and little arms.

I can relate to the dinosaur! I am not designed to fulfill my best intentions on my own. My ability to fix myself or solve the puzzel of my short comings is limited. Why do I underachieve? Why do I make big change decisions and relapse?

First, I underachieve because of the apparent lack of consequences. What was the old line? People change when they hurt enough that they have to. Often we surround ourselves with a host of enablers who accept who we are without question. Most of us are blessed with spouses who have replaced wishful thinking with acceptance years ago. This scares me to think about it, but our spouses are not likely the only ones who have thrown in the towel.

My doctor pounded me, then medicated me for months in the name of better health. He informed me, chest pains inspired me. I am seeing an orthopedic doctor today for a reoccurring hip problem. An MD and personal trainer think there is a possibility that it could be from carrying too much weight for too many years. Those things have hurt enough. The potential for relapse remains, however.

Look for a place of slight discomfort. Jump on it now. Thank God you noticed early. Work on one thing at a time. Seek help from the Lord. Talk to others in the faith community. Tomorrow, relapse and the internal triangle.

Good meeting at White Oak. Headquarters for a few days. I also see a Doctor, CPA, and a bucket of bucket of paint in my short-term future. Just in time. Pain has inspired all three.

No comments: