Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Most Things Don't Work

For some crazy reason I decided to paint over my vacation (not paint my vacation Jay, you know what I mean). Went to Lowe's. Ask the paint guy's advice and he said, sure, this is good paint. I walked out feeling good about my gallon of $13.00 paint. Well, it didn't work. The paint was awful. I did not know how bad paint could be to be until I slapped some of this hot pink on Abby's bedroom wall.

I am hesitant to continue yesterday's thoughts. They seem so cynical, so jaded. But for some reason I believe they offer comfort and hope. No iron clad promises that Black Beans will make you smarter and the 13.00 paint at Lowe's will provide good coverage on your daughter's bedroom walls. Some things just don't work.

Before you get self-righteous, don't forget Romans 7. The one sentence version of that chapter for Paul was, this is not working for me. But as per yesterday, where did that drive him?

For two men on the road to nowhere (Luke 24) the Jesus thing just was not working. I am not comparing Jesus to cheap paint here. No. No. No. I am saying our view and expectations of Him, of how He should work, might hurt the relationship. Can you embrace Christ when things don't work? That is real faith.

Geiger was on yesterday at World Headquarters. What I like best about Eric is, he was thinking and doing process driven discipleship stuff before the world knew. I saw it in Cincinnati with my own eyes. Lots of movement makers in the room with Eric today in Columbia.

No comments: