Thursday, April 10, 2008

Relapse III - Dog at a Whistler's Convention

Funny line really - do whistlers even have a convention? I know this is basic stuff here - for some it is a reminder, for others maybe this is new ground.

Call it my shot at Simple Person. We are three parts -- physical (hungry, thirsty, tired); emotional (happy, sad, angry); and spiritual (peaceful, God-wired, hopeful).

Most people (Christians included) spend most of their time in parts 1 and 2. Our individual performance will shift as often as hungry, thirsty, tired, happy, sad shifts. The anchor becomes the third part of me, the part that connects to God. Without that part of the triangle I will turn constantly (remember the convention) to look for rest and satisfaction (although I can't get no . . . as Mick said).

So I make a God connection, and choose to do better or be better . . . it feels right, it is right! If I do not walk away with God resources, the first physical or emotional whistle I hear, boom, I am gone. Commitment over. Game, set, match. Hello Mr. Guilt and Shame.

Those of us with strong mothers (permit me a Dr. Phil moment), who are determined to rescue (re-mother) mankind, will work ourselves to the point of death. Our physical takes over our fleshly, out of balance lives. Boundaries and commitments with the ones we are closest to break down. The other stuff is much more important. So what now? More tomorrow.

Interesting day at Headquarters. Some deeper conversations. Transitions are uncomfortable but integrity demands them. Safe is risky (I think I get credit for that quote). The best days for the SCBC are coming.

1 comment:

Cliff Marshall said...

Great stuff Dino. I will be using the three part observation with our folks at some point. I may or may not give you credit. :)