Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Time Out, While I Go Get My Belt

Who said, Expectations are greater than realization? My dad is the first person I ever heard make the statement. Google did not know. It's scary, when Google does not know.

My mother would say, you should do better and you ought to have known better. I should have used that expectations line on her. However, that was the old days. She would have gone old fashioned on my behind, in spite of Dr. Spock. Mom did not understand the incredible benefit of a time out. Her time out was, time out while I go get the belt.

Would you lower them today? Your expectations? I know that for another blog, another day, another context, we can talk about raising your expectations.

Expect the . . .

  • drive through or toilet to be clogged
  • waitress to get mixed up
  • people around you not to understand
  • multiple transactions by the person in front of you
  • people around you to miss the deadline
  • phone call or email not returned
  • cell phone call to drop right when you are concluding the conversation
  • boss to be too busy
  • wife to be distracted
  • car not to start
  • project to cost more than you planned
  • other expectations as owned or assigned to go unmet
The benefits? Here is a big one. A lower level of anger, stress, and frustration. Why? Because you have learned that life and people will never be perfect, no matter how hard you try.

Day two in Myrtle with movement makers. Heard a lot of stories yesterday. Laughed and learned. We all needed a few giggles and lessons.

No comments: