Friday, March 28, 2008

Chicken Farming in West Columbia

I am not sure why, but Abby and I, on a whim, bought two baby chicks. My family was stunned that Mr. he-man pet hater brought home baby chicks. Some men buy sports cars and wear their shirts unbuttoned. I am going with the baby chicks as part of my man identity crisis. I want to be a chicken farmer.

I am getting plenty of enjoyable pay-off with my decision. First, (sorry for the relapse) my most unfavorite Siamese cat, Lilly, is miserable about the baby chicks. Second, I have out natured my good natured, raised on the farm, Elly Mae Clampett, wife, Yvette. She is as perplexed as Lilly about my behavior. They both sit and stare at the cage nervously.

I admire ten things about those baby chicks (Ginger and Nina).

1) The spring in their steps (such perky little things)

2) A sweet tone in their chirps (always upbeat)

3) They stand in their food and water (sense of humor)

4) Don't seem to care about the mess they are in (thick-skinned)

5) They hate and peck at Lilly (core values)

6) They will lay eggs soon (instant results)

7) Chicken feed is cheap (low maintenance)

8) No barky, no barky (no hang-ups)

9) No scratching on the couch (no bad habits)

10) No climbing on the curtains (no issues)

Bottom line, they are the anti-cat/dog and are proud of it. Wish I could keep Ginger and Nina long term. Can't do it unless I move to a farm. Hey, it's no sports car or unbuttoned shirt. Chicken feed for thought, huh?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

So where will the chicks go when they grow? Chicken feed for thought...

CRJ/DJS said...

Good question Jennifer. My chickens are similiar to my children, very special and unusually gifted. We are looking for a permanent home for Ginger and Nina, but not just any home. These are not your average, run of the mill chickens. We will go through a screening process for interested applicants.