Thursday, March 20, 2008

I Think I Know Why I Cried

College Road Trip with Martin Lawrence and Raven-Symone will not be a blockbuster. Disney did not have that in mind when they produced the movie. I would say it was another day another dollar for them.

Since I was a little kid passages made me uncomfortable. I love to hold on to the moment. In fact, some of those assessments (tests to see if you are wierd) verify I am an in the moment type person. Mary wanted to hold on to Jesus in the garden. Peter, James, and John wanted to hold on to the apprearance of Jesus with Moses and Elijah. I am not alone.

College Road Trip is about a major passage of a daddy's little girl moving from high school to college. Comfortable relationships are great, but no matter who they are with, they are going to change. The rythm of life demands relationships change. Nothing is more sad than separation. Thank God for unlimited nights and weekends but wow it hurts sometimes.

I think about how fun it was to watch David Letterman with Krista when she was five. I loved the buzz of taking her to King's Island at eleven. At 21 I sat across the table from her this week, a young wife, mother, and credit union employee in downtown Columbia. I admire her, but it is so hard to let go. I wanted to say, hey take the rest of the day off and let's go ride a roller coaster. Instead, I motioned to the waitress, one check please. We had spent the hour talking about grandsons, cars, David, and Weight Watchers. I went back to work and so did she.

As Raven said good-bye to her mother and father at a key point in the movie the cry monkey jumped on my back. Somehow they captured the fact that as much as Raven wanted separation, independence, etc. that at the final moment she was sad too. Nobody likes it, but change is a part of relationships. I am convinced that God pours value in my life as people come and go. Relational space is limited. No one enters and exits without purpose.

World Headquarters for a record third day in a row. Wow. One more day and its vacation. Ocala, Resurrection 5K (get ready to go down frogman), maybe a little golf, and some crazy fun little girls who will not little very long. Do I need it? Yeah, well who cares what you think? I am takin' it!

2 comments:

Mike said...

Dino,
Thanks for your blog today. My wife and I are facing a first step of separation with our youngest daughter. Last one to go to school. Thanks for the reminder that separation is a part of life.

Your blog made me cry a little (maybe just a misting) because separation is difficult at any level.

Mike

CRJ/DJS said...

So true Mike. I can remember my 21 year old screaming, and holding on to my leg (4 years old)preschool . . . or maybe I was holding on to her leg. I can't remember. Thanks for your comments.