Friday, November 28, 2008

From Tennessee - Fulmer's Final Mistake

I don't know a lot about David Clawson. His resume is impressive. I know he seemed successful at Richmond and Fordham. I was caught up in all the hype of a hot, new West Coast offense six months ago. Evidently so was Phil. I know he would say he made a lot of mistakes as head coach at University of Tennessee. No question, David Clawson as offensive coordinator was his last.

David is young, he will land on his feet and learn from it. But no matter, the story behind the story, is that life got too complicated for the offense.

When you look at reality, last season was a Houdini act by Phil. How such an average team could end up in the SEC championship game and a few plays from the BCS amazes me. Others must have noticed. The VOLS were on their way to one of the most impressive recruiting classes in years under Fulmer. But things got complicated on offense. Way too complicated.

I am sad. An old familiar face will be gone from the Big Orange. I am looking for something to learn here for all of us. Simple is in. Simple Church by Rainer and Geiger is great for the church world. Real Simple magazine is fun and important for those of us looking for tips around the house. In a complicated era, simple has never matter more.

Life gets foggy at times. For Phil, for me, and for David Clawson, simple might be better. Simple might have saved the jobs of Clawson and Phil.

How do you need to simplify in your life? Have you overcomplicated faith? family? work? Vince Lombardi allegedly started each summer football camp with, "Gentlemen, this is a football." That, I understand. I am with you Vince. I am going to dumb it down a bit.

1 comment:

Cliff Marshall said...

Needed that one today Dino. Call me when you're in town.