Thursday, November 6, 2008

30 Days To Live - Yuk!

I resisted one part of 30 Days to Live. I guess part of the reason is a man thang. Part if it is a desire for the deep. I have resisted the warm, squeezy, feely part.

I remember seeing a wall poster in the 70's. You may have seen these if you were alive back then, or old enough to read. The poster was a part of the Love is . . . series. The poster said, Love is . . . A Green Field on a Warm Day. Yuk! At that time for me, love was cruising. With my best girl. Marsha. Down Broad Street. In my light blue Volkswagen Super Beetle. On Friday night!

The big picture is important if we have 30 days to live. But there must be a greater appreciation for the moment. Why? Because the now is one thing you have left. Appreciating the smaller experiences, that we often take for granted takes a front seat.

I like the way Lee, from Willow Ridge, said it to me in an email:

We obviously are going to continue to spend wisely and save accordingly, but with 30 days left to live, finances take a back seat. It certainly makes you want to enjoy one more time: sunsets, swimming, sitting in a deer stand, running over the Cooper River Bridge with your wife, having a cup of coffee with your father on his back porch. It also makes you think about the things you NEED to do: have THAT conversation with your extremely lost brother, put down on paper LIFE type things for your son, feed everyone you can that cant feed themselves, tell your wife EXACTLY what she means to you.

If you only have 30 days to live, love really may become a green field on a warm day. Whatever, in the moment, that you take for granted. Gifts from God that we are too important or busy to enjoy. Have one today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

here are my 30 days to live "discoveries"
1 - Call and e-mail friends daily.
2 - See my parents every week - they are not getting any younger.
3 - Go on a camping trip with SHOC and my high school son
4 - Allow God to help me lead my family in a Godly way - walk it and don't just talk it.
5 - Get serious about my work/life balance.