Tuesday, November 11, 2008

30 Days To Live - The Last Sermon

Randy Pausch, Carnegie Mellon Professor knew he was going to die when he presented his last lecture at the university Sept. 18, 2007. Really. No special bracelet or sermon series inspired him. Doctors and medical tests had informed Randy.

This Sunday at The Ridge I have been challenged to present The Last Sermon. Not exactly the same as what Randy faced, although Dr. Raham would agree that I face a similar fate. The statistics, Steve Brown said, are one out of one. I am not sure where The Last Sermon is going yet, although I have thought about it for over six weeks now.

One of my favorite quotes on death comes from a preacher, D.L. Moody:

Someday you will read in the papers that D.L. Moody of Northfield is dead. Don't believe a word of it. At that moment I shall be more alive than I am now. I shall have gone higher, that is all - out of this old clay tenement into a house that is immortal, a body that sin cannot touch, that sin cannot taint, a body fashioned into His glorious body. I was born in the flesh in 1837. I was born of the Spirit in 1856. That which is born of flesh may die; that which is born of the Spirit will live forever.

Wow, talk about finishing strong -- and with confidence. Is it possible? How? Will you?

No comments: