Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Journey 5 - Deadly Bursts

I noticed a few less experienced runners on the trail. How could I tell? They were running way too hard at the beginning of the race. Too many deadly bursts. Tricky subject I know. How could I tell the difference? Didn't the top 10 finishers (I was in the bottom third of this big ugly) start out faster than me?

There was a big difference between the experienced runners who started quickly versus the inexperienced runners who started quickly. To the experienced runners it was about knowing purpose, preparation, and . . . drum roll please . . . self-awareness. How much fuel was in the tank when the race began?

Two major obstacles were faced by every runner. James (35) finished first with a time of 29.55. Terrance (52) finished last with a time of 1:15:49. Both faced personal obstacles and course obstacles. Both faced preparation issues and personal pain issues. They ran the same course, probably with different purposes. Who knows which one actually succeeded?

Let's see, three pieces of long hanging fruit, which one do you need to work on today? Definition of success? Personal obstacles (pain, disappointment, limitations)? Course obstacles (relationships, expectations of others, gas prices)? Where is God in the work?

Heading to ATL today. Wish I had some time to maneuver a bit, but strictly business. I love ATL. Tennessee Friday/Saturday. Willow Ridge Sunday. Prince Caspian Monday. Looks like the track is laid for the next few feet.


No comments: