Friday, May 9, 2008

Brush Off Your Bottom III - Give Jesus Your Ugly Ear

I would love for Barna, Stetzer, or Rainer to give this research project a try. When on a losing streak and faced with three options: quit; look in the mirror; or brush off your bottom and go another round; what is the most common response?

I mentioned this week I thought heroes always pick number three and wimps always pick number one. So what is the right answer? Life is so much simpler with one answer. I don't think there is a universal answer to this question. Context is everything.

Some are obvious: don't quit on your marriage, don't quit on your kids, don't quit loving your neighbors . . . Hey, and don't let me scare you, I do believe there are issues in life where there is only one answer for everyone in every circumstance.

Here is one universal answer when on a losing streak: give Jesus your ear. You may have heard somewhere, sometime (depending on your background) give Jesus your heart, give Jesus your life; give Jesus your checkbook (uh, make that out to me, btw); give Jesus your family . . . but, what about your ear? He has customized instructions for you on how to respond.

My ears are so ugly. Shaped funny with man hair growing out of them, I would probably look better in ear muffs on a hot S.C. day. Why is Jesus even interested in such an awful thing? Here is why . . . when Jesus has your ear, He has all of you. Whoever you listen to owns you.

Here is an example: Then his master shall bring him to God, then he shall bring him to the door or the door post. An his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him permanently (The Bible: Numbers 21:6, NAS). Just can't get this word out of my head, or my ear. Piercing anyone?

What a weekend! Horse show starring Anna tonight. Yvette's parents are coming . . . 8K Trail Run Saturday, WRC http://www.willowridgechurch.org/ Sunday, Mother's Day, exciting new church in Spartanburg, Sunday night, movement makers Monday.

No comments: