Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Journey 4 - Finish

Most people do not finish well. I remember great advice I received when I was in school. Keep turning corners! Don't be overwhelmed by the big picture.

The old folks used to talk about how fast time goes. One day I woke up one of them. I understand now. Everything is temporary. The good, the bad, and the stuff in between. That is not intended to be a cynical view of life. To me, it motivates. Find a Bible and read Romans 8:18-39. Notice the journey aspect of the passage . . . The rhythm of life . . . The God perspective.

One lady on the trail said her goal was to finish without stopping. You Type A's probably think that is the stupidest vision statement ever. But if 60% of all leaders do not finish well, the stupid may be more powerful than at first glance. What do you think?

What a day yesterday! I survived family devotions at headquarters. Really turned out to be a friendly and receptive crowd. I have been speaking to groups for over 30 years. I am surprised and humbled by how nervous I get!

Spent the afternoon without some of my favorite movement makers in Greenville: Perry Duggar from Brookwood Church http://www.brookwoodchurch.org/ , Jay and Joanna Mitchell The Springs http://www.thesprings.org/, and Kermit (not easy being green) Morris. Just didn't feel like work, but I'm counting it. I'm savin' my vacation days.

No comments: