Monday, September 1, 2008

The Last Word - Throw the World a Curve Ball

When I talk in churches I struggle to keep within time boundaries. Having been on both sides (talker and listener) for the past ten years, I have learned this reality: talkers are a lot more passionate about talking, than listeners are passionate about listening and learning. So, although I don't want to finish my sermons, I know some people are cheering me on to the finish line from gun.

Almost every time I finish, there usually is one more thing I wish I would have said. I am going to use Mondays for The Last Word. Yesterday, I talked about the attitude of successful Christians. The attitude, featured in Philippians 2:5-11 could, not only help we insiders get along better (not that we don't uh . . . err . . .). The attitude could also be the kind of thing God uses to change the world.

Today's last word: Being a servant to others is not what they expect. What do they expect? They expect us to be angry and demanding. They expect love with strings (expectations) or got a return on investment. At the very least they know we love them to make ourselves look and feel good. When we serve out of who we are, God sends loud and clear messages about who He really is. Curveball! Strike!

Do you ever wonder what Jesus expected from Judas, His betrayer? Reformation? Conversion? A change of heart? A donation? Yet, Jesus washed his feet. Wow! Love without strings.

We are not natural born servants. We, in addition to having been Born To Be Wild, were also Born to Be Served. So I must do/be the unnatural. That requires Divine Intervention.

No comments: