Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Beyond My Feet

After the Crooked Creek Park 5K Saturday, David and I stopped at Fleet Feet, a running store. Little did I know I was about to make a shocking discovery.

Okay, so I went through one of those high tech, what kind of running shoe you are supposed to wear, type experiences. The young guy knew his stuff. He was in no hurry. Video, barefoot on the treadmill, on the treadmill in shoes, measuring standing up, and measuring sitting down, was all a part of the whole enchilada.

The discovery: my running shoes were a full size too small. I was impressing myself with my pain. Part of life for an aspiring distance runner, right? I thought it was supposed to hurt that bad!

What did I learn? The pain I was experiencing was not a necessary part of the experience. Dog! I thought it was out of my control. I felt I was paying the price.

As Dr. Rahman might ask, Where does it hurt today? Your pain may be self-inflicted. I have discovered my self-inflicted pain goes far beyond my feet. Not part of the Father's plan, part of my uninformed choices and lack of true mirror gazing.

1 comment:

Sid said...

"Common Knowledge" my brother !!Gotta get those shoes a size or so larger....Congrats on the running...
10k tomorrow & 15 mile trail race next Sat. Yahoo !!!