Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Recovery - The Last Race

David (son-in-law) and I set personal distance running records Saturday morning. If you are a serious runner you would not be impressed. If you are not, you probably would be. I did learn some things beyond running.

Adrenalin can get you through the race, but recovery is a big deal. We felt euphoria when we got close enough to know we would finish nine miles. Wow, we made it! Then, reality. How will my body respond the following 48 hours? I was in less control of that than finishing the race.

As I hang out with leaders, and lead a little myself, I have seen this principle many times. Leaders short sell the effect of post race trauma. They focus so well on the mountain, the goal, the finish line, that they tend to destroy themselves and the people around them to get there.

This is more profound than you think. I did better than I thought 48 hours after Saturday. Why? I don't want to take too much credit, but I ran with after shock in mind. Shoes, hydration, stretching, carb replacement, post race meal, and a little medication were all key issues. I thought beyond the finish line. Because of that and God's grace (no kidding), I will race again.

As a leader, don't treat every race like it is the last one. You will last longer, you will win more, and there will be more joy in the journey!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great insight...I believe Lahaye mentions the same concept from a different angle when he writes about the Choleric temperment after it conquers the mountain. I wonder if there is a step further? From my wee knowledge of physical training, it seems that our muscles are actually rebuilding during the time you have described as "post-race trama." You owe me some coaching dates...ed b.

Anonymous said...

well said, dino.

i'm so guilty of this...the goal is too often crossing the line with little to no regard for what may happen on the other side. thanks for the challenge and encouragement!