Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Root Canals, Kidney Stones, and Ripping Wall Paper

As I was ripping down wall paper Saturday I had a revelation of three painful experiences. They fit together nicely. These three experiences are not the worse things that could happen. However, they are three things that you hear people moan about.

I don't remember the first time I heard someone talk about a kidney stone. I assure you I felt their pain was overstated at the time. I am that way. A root canal is such a common painful experience it goes right there with a cold toilet seat and hot pizza cheese stuck to the roof of your mouth as the gold standard of pain.

I googled how to rip wall paper. It helped. I talked to the nice ladies at Lowe's. They made nice suggestions. With the help of my most lovely, Yvette, we got it done. I am glad the room was small. Ripping wall paper is a different kind of pain, but maybe along with working tobacco, hauling hay, or hanging sheet rock, another gold standard for agony.

What hurts today? What frog do you dread eating? Our pain is the raw material that can be used by our Father to make our heart into His. Don't go it alone. Talk to me. Check with the nice ladies at Lowe's. We have either experienced your pain or know someone that has.

Cola today. Headquarters. Digging out from a week at IHOP, no I meant IOP Bryan.

1 comment:

Cliff Marshall said...

I've removed wallpaper and survived two kidney stones. The kidney stones were more painful, but the wallpaper was more frustrating. Your marriage is very healthy if you can rip down wallpaper with Yvette and still be speaking to one another.