Sunday, June 28, 2009

Weekend Blogitoral: Michael Jackson is in a Better Place

I was profoundly moved by the death of the King of Pop. Similar to Elvis only even more vivid for me, I grew up with Jackson. With the exception of a few 45's (Google that if you are under 40) I never spent much money on his music. Yet, in his prime, he was everywhere. You could not avoid his music and influence.

I am not on a which hunt. I am no more offended by Michael's life choices than God is offended by mine. What struck me unexpectedly through a radio interview last Thursday was a commentary from a friend of Jackson's. I do not know for sure who was being interviewed. Repeatedly in the interview, calmly and confidently, the person kept saying, Michael is in a better place.

In some ways this is a tough blog to write. I am thinking out loud here. I am not sure what I really want to say, and by no means do I want to come across as that guy. You know, the guy who has an agenda -- A vulture who jumps on the things people far from God say in order that I can look smarter than them. The arrogant and unChristian, I am right and everybody else is wrong, that keeps people far from God, far from God --

Yet, the confidence and calmness of the Michael is in a better place comment made me feel awkward inside. Did this friend know something about Michael that was not obvious through casual examination of the evidence? Maybe or maybe not.

Pop culture has a theology. In fact, everybody has a theology and a belief system. Everybody, however, really can't be right. I mean, will we say at Charles Manson's funeral, Charles is finally at peace? I don't think so. Did we say something similar about Mother Theresa? Probably. So, where does Michael Jackson fit on the scale? How about Elvis? Princess Di?

Ultimately only God knows if Michael is in a better place. But if he is, it is not by chance, it is by choice. At some point in Jackson's journey he would have responded to the invitation of Jesus, before his death.

However, why not begin with what we know. How about you? When you die, where will you go? What will others left behind say about your whereabouts? How can you find out more about life after death? No matter your belief system, most of humanity (not all) believe death is irreversible. Wherever Michael is, that is where he will be. His music will live here as long as there is a planet, but he is gone. Sad day.

1 comment:

Sid said...

Very good "D"...I think it is important for peeps to realize that " every knee shall bow....'

Sid